starkeyhollow

Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Yes, Virginia, there are no Easter eggs!!"


Peacefully dozing  on my recliner, I was blissfully unaware of the disaster brewing in the kitchen.
I awoke to a series of LOUD popping sounds coming from the next room.  In my confusion from the nap,   I first thought it was a wayward flock of birds that had flown off course into my back window.
But then I smelled a pungent aroma coming from the stove, and there was my "egg-cident" in all its glory.
I had been cooking a pot of hard boiled eggs and they had been boiling away beyond the suggested 8-10 minutes.
Therefore the water, having evaporated, left the poor eggs with only one option... explosion!!
In a pathetic attempt at damage control, I grabbed up the smoldering remains and dumped them unceremoniously into the sink.
Mistake number two: Do NOT leave the drain engaged.
My egg debris and the steady stream of water soon overwhelmed the confines of the sink and while I was out of the room (making an emergent "pit stop"), the overflow proceeded to flood my kitchen floor.  What a mess!
The next time I want decorative eggs, I will go to the Easter early sunrise church  breakfast with a doggy bag in my purse.

6 comments:

  1. That is one of the worst smells ever!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right up there with burned fish! I got a new George Foreman grille and quickly learned that the enclosed instructional book is deceptive, at best, and sure to guarantee failure. There is no nutritional value when meat no longer resembles meat! I now go with half the suggested time and enjoy more success!

      Delete
  2. I have to comment on the winning photo. beautiful. Regarding the eggs...remember what dad said..never leave your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah! Again! Thanks.
    A pit stop on the way from the disaster? You ARE too funny!! That's actually happened to me too...forgetting boiling eggs. Yuck! But only you could tell it in this special way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I just had to comment because this made me laugh. Every day I take a hard boiled egg to work for breakfast. Jack always makes them for me on Sunday night...boils 5 for the week. He forgot them last week too! I smelled them way before I heard any popping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update: I just watched a video on Youtube showing "how to peel a hard boiled egg"... AFTER copying an article on "how to make a perfect hard boiled egg". I've done my research and though a bit remedial, perhaps, I am psyched!! Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete