starkeyhollow

Saturday, April 28, 2012

I COOK?!

Yes, it is true.
I made a home cooked meal from scratch!
My culinary skills are right up there with my home improvement abilities.  Suffice to say,  I am very well known around the Belden Village restaurant community as a "regular".
While channel surfing, I came upon a Hallmark channel cooking show called Mad Hungry... and boy, was I hungry.
This episode featured bacon as the main ingredient in many delicious recipes.
With apologies to Babe, I just LOVE bacon!!!
I find the aroma alone seductive and irresistible.
The executive food director Lucinda Scala Quinn reported that this recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara could be perfected by any 12 year old and completed in the  time it takes to cook the pasta.

Hmm, my expertise in the kitchen is about par level to that of the average child.
I think I can do this.
And I did!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pound spaghetti
                                                           
1/2 pound bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
                                                           
3 large eggs (room temperature)
                                                           
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus extra for serving)
                                                           
freshly ground black pepper
                                                 
*optional 2-3 cloves garlic minced  (parsley, wine or cream if you wish)
you can also add olive oil to the bacon while frying

Directions:
Bring a large pot of (salted) water to a boil and cook spaghetti 9-10 min
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook the bacon over medium low heat until just crispy.
Drain pasta and add to bacon in pan.
 *although Lucinda skipped the strainer and added pasta directly from boiling water into bacon pan
toss to combine
whisk together the eggs, cheese, and pepper in small bowl.
pour the egg/cheese mix into the pasta and combine thoroughly.  Don't worry, the warm pasta will cook the raw eggs into a sauce.
Serve immediately with extra grated cheese on top.

Serves 6 people
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!! Actually Rachel Ray said on her show yesterday that this is her husband's favorite dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! And I never would have thought of eggs in the sauce!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete