starkeyhollow

Saturday, March 31, 2012

"Soul Sisters"


Although born 8 months apart,  in different cities and to different parents, I consider my friend Donna to be my "conjoined twin" of the heart!
We first met in high school (1966) as  members of the newspaper's elite (smile) editorial staff , but we really bonded in nursing school when we became room mates .
Rather like Neil Simon's mismatched duo in The Odd Couple, I played Oscar (sloppy, messy) to Donna's Felix (neat, tidy).
I would get up in the morning and go down to the shared dormitory bathroom to wash up and brush my teeth, and by the time I returned to our room, just like magic,  my bed was made and the clothes put away!
Donna was both my hairdresser and fashion consultant. We went through an experimental phase where we dyed our locks jet black!  Back in "the good old days", I could fit into her clothes and our wardrobes were interchangeable.
We were like the "identical cousins" from The Patty Duke show. ("They laugh alike, they walk alike, at times they even talk alike...")  
And now, some 44 years later, I am still honored to call Donna my "twin" sister!
I find myself awed and humbled in the wake of her recent diagnosis of breast cancer.
She has always been a positive and strong woman, but her brave front and  "let's just do this" attitude is amazing to witness.
I know her strong faith and love for family and friends will get her through the upcoming months of treatment.

       

2 comments:

  1. Yikes!! Those are the funniest pictures EVER!!! Where did you dig those up???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! There isn't much greater than friends that feel like sisters!!

    Love the old nursing pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete