starkeyhollow

Monday, April 2, 2012

"Jesus Christ Superstar"




Did I ever tell you about the time I met "Jesus" in person?
OK, it was really Ted Neeley, the actor, who portrayed Jesus in the 1971 hit movie Jesus Christ Superstar.

He also stared in multiple stage productions of the Gospel inspired rock opera  for an impressive forty years!
Loyal  fans are referred to as "Ted Heads".

My sisters (Laurie and Beth) and I drove up to Cleveland's Playhouse Square and witnessed a fantastic revival  that certainly left us star struck.  After the show, we congregated outside the stage door and were able to meet and greet the actors.
They were so gracious and appreciative when we told them about our Holy Week tradition of playing old JCS movie soundtracks and videos. I even got a kiss on the cheek from "Judas".  The irony was not lost with that unexpected gesture.  My brother Nic, who also happened to be attending the show, captured the moment on film. You can see my shocked reaction in the photo just after Carl Anderson (Judas) surprised me!

The music and lyrics are Andrew Lloyd Weber and Timothy Rice at their very best.  I have every album, CD, cassette, video and DVD ever made! Suffice to say, if my future nursing home ever puts on a geriatric version, I can play any part from Mary Magdalene to Pontious Pilot.
As tried and true "PK"s" (preacher's kids), that afternoon was certainly one of the highlights of our ecumenical lives.
To say we experienced a true religious moment is no overstatement.
However, my father was less then thrilled with the many musicals that took on biblical themes.
I remember an evening way back in the early 1970's when our family attended the opening of Godspell at the Lakewood Shakespeare Theatre.
This was an early musical by Stephen Schwartz - the future author of  Wicked.
It was a modern day song and dance recreation of parables based on the Gospel of St.Matthew.  I can see now how my poor father, a very conservative Lutheran minister,  might have  interpreted the inappropriate humor (Jesus was dressed as a clown) as an insult and mockery of his beliefs.
At the end of the show, the final curtain call did not find my father participating in the standing ovation.
But my mother and I made up for his lack of enthusiasm!

4 comments:

  1. And I, still a Tedhead saw him 4 more times in the last 5 Years ever thankful to big sis Judi for turning me on to one of the biggest thrills of my life! Well done on your description of that day...I even told Ted about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know most of those lyrics from you playing them over and over in our dorm room!! I really love them too. I never saw any of those shows and can see why your dad felt the way he did. I always hope that they aren't meant to be sacrilegious but have a hidden back story that secretly pays homage to God and that I am too stupid to understand.
    Fun memories that you have! I think you should blog about what it must have been like to be one of TEN children in your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the play, but I did see the movie and I've always loved the music. I know many Christian groups are against the play but I've never understood why. I think it's a very good adaptation and frankly if it makes you feel religious it can't be that bad! I'm glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my usual "Good Friday" thing and watched the movie "Jesus Christ Superstar" yesterday. Afterwards, I listened to the interview between the director Norman Jewison and "Jesus", Ted Neeley... and you are right. Ted was very spiritually affected making the movie and ever since attributes that experience as having changed his life forever. Many of the actors were converted during production and that alone should prove it wasn't a mockery.

    ReplyDelete