starkeyhollow

Saturday, April 21, 2012

"All who wander are not lost"

My top ten vacation destinations:

Number 1

Walt Disney World Resort  (Orlando, Florida)

"Disneyland...will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Author: Walt Disney

I was well into my twenties when I first entered the Magic Kingdom.  It was the early 1970's and Epcot, Animal Kingdom and MGM (Hollywood) studios were still a dream and a shovel away from existence.

Traveling on my own, I was quite overwhelmed on this my maiden voyage- exploring the world of Disney- where my inner child could once again be set free.


With a silly grin plastered on my face,  I practically glowed with anticipation from the moment I stepped through the gates and saw Cinderella's castle for the first time.  Tears of joy welled up in my eyes as I heard Jiminy Cricket singing, "When you wish upon a star". 
  I was home at last!

Since those early days, I have had the opportunity to return over and over again to the world's most- visited entertainment resort, and one that rightfully boasts:  "we create magic and memories".  
One of the highlights for me was experiencing the wonder of the Main street Electrical Parade.
It featured floats and live performers covered in electronically controlled lights and a synchronized soundtrack.  It began, "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of night time magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds."

The music was infectious and the light show amazing to behold.  I think I held my breath the entire time!  


My brother David, his wife Cheryl, and my sister Beth accompanied me on this trip, and we were dining at the Liberty Tree Tavern.  I will never forget the moment we heard the music and we all jumped out of our seats and rushed to the window.  When we realized the parade route was passing by the restaurant, we ran outside and were immediately rendered speechless.  (that is saying a lot for a "Kucera")  Together we experienced a truly "magical moment"... one that will not soon be forgotten.



"Party of five": My good friends Donna & Larry and Cindy & Harvey are frequent companions on my Disney vacations.  Time and troubles disappear when you enter the land of  Imagination.  Years fade away and yes, there is that nostalgic "inner child" to let out to romp and play!
The men are good sports about appearing in our many photos!


Thanks to Cindy, I was introduced to the Disney Vacation Club (high quality time share properties) and have been privileged  to revisit my "home away from home" many times. (In fact, I maintain a yearly pilgrimage!) 
I also traveled to California to visit the original Disneland and  to Euro Disney outside of Paris. 
 We have stayed at every resort on the properties, but my favorite is, and always will be, The Boardwalk Villa, an Atlantic City-style seaside resort that sits along a festive boardwalk.




Donna, in front of the Boardwalk resort, walking distance from Epcot.  

8 comments:

  1. Thanks to Cindy for all the memories like your 60th birthday party! I love Disney, too! Fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All things Disney are popular in our family, too.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say you should make your vacation your "vocation"...I think you need a job at Disney! My dream when I was in High School was to get a job at a new resort just opening...Disney World..and be Snow White. I was young, slim and cute then! Plus I had black hair...but the ruby red lips would have needed some help! I even applied and was told I would need to be a resident of Florida for 30 days first. I never did do it and now I'd only be good to play the wicked witch! Hahah! Who knows, maybe I should reapply? I love the pics of you and also the fab 5 enjoying time together. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you still could pass for Snow White!!! I think it is a perfect fit for you...ruby lips and all :-)
      Maybe I will apply for the "Goofy" character? I have height on my side, and they let you wear a mask: perfect match!

      Delete
  4. 50th too!!! Best ever!!!Thanks Cindy! Hurry 70th...71,72,73... I even spent 7 nights at the Contemporary on my honeymoon. Do i like Disney?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! Where'd you EVER get that last pic???!!! Ha!

    Yep. My favorite destination too. You DO need a Disney job. Yea! I'd get discounts...well, maybe not, you have too many siblings!

    Neat post complete with music...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's run away to Orlando and join your friend Melody as members of the Disney work force- would be such fun. We'll take Kathy,too, and it would be kinda like the new version of "The Golden Girls" revisited!

      Delete
  6. Hahaha! Ok! And no one would know or recognize me bald!

    ReplyDelete