starkeyhollow

Friday, March 23, 2012

"The Hole"


Last week while walking my dog, I passed a bird house with a small finch  perched beside the opening.
Her body was outside with her head poking into the birdhouse and she was as still as a statue.
Curious as to why she chose not to fly away, I investigated closer and realized she had her head stuck tight in the entrance hole!!
Trying not to panic her or myself, I approached the bird house and spoke in a hushed tone, thinking that she would squeeze out on her own rather than encounter a human.  Wrong.
I gently tried to disengage her head from the hole. Up, down, sideways ...and all I managed to accomplish was to escalate my  growing anxiety.
I could feel the stretch in her vertebrae and was afraid that I would decapitate her right then and there!
Returning her to the perch, I ran inside like a mad women and after considering everything from Vaseline to butter, grabbed a small boy scout knife.
Supporting my surprisingly calm little bird in my hand, I  began to chip away to enlarge the hole.
Several precarious slices later and the bird suddenly fluttered out of my hand and flew away like a bat out of Hell!
With a sigh of relief, I thanked God and went back inside to collapse on the couch!
But not before I flew around  the yard myself and compulsively enlarged  all the holes on all the birdhouses!!!
I did not want history to repeat itself.
EPILOGUE: The end of the story:   Yesterday, again while walking the dog (maybe I should seriously consider a tread mill?), I saw what appeared to be a pair of wings on my lawn, not attached to any bird!  Was this my rescued bird?  Had I done irreparable damage to her neck?  Did she ultimately die of fright from the experience?  Please, God, no...
But then later in the day as I  passed by a beautiful  tree, filled with new pink blossoms - there sitting on a branch sat a solitary songbird, singing her heart out.
Was that possibly a note of thanks I heard in her song?  Could she be "my" bird instead of that poor wingless one?
In a perfect world, I would like to think so.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh...you are TOO much!! That little birdie was saved by you I'm SURE!! Big bad kitties see stray birds and devour...survival of the fittest, you know. It was your bird...yes, he was the one singing. Walk the dog the other way....

    ReplyDelete