starkeyhollow

Wednesday, November 14, 2012


Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be! ♥



Grow old along with me
The best is yet to be
When our time has come
We will be as one
God bless our love
God bless our love
Grow old along with me
Two branches of one tree
Face the setting sun
When the day is done
God bless our love
God bless our love
Spending our lives together
Man and wife together
World without end
World without end
Grow old along with me
Whatever fate decrees
We will see it through
For our love is true
God bless our love

God bless our love - John Lennon 
As sons and daughters who loved their parents and wanted to honor them in a special way, we performed that song for my parents' 50th anniversary party.
We made a recording in my brother Mark's music studio and each sibling had their own solo part to sing.   It is a day I will cherish forever.
I can't listen to that music without tears blinding my eyes.

 birthday presents in 1952
I spent so many happy birthdays with my incredible family. I  wrap those memories around me, like a blanket, to comfort me when I am sad or lonely.
When I look back at those days, it sometimes seems just a shadow of a dream... but I cling to every detail.
The special birthday guest of honor was allowed to pick out his or her "favorite meal"- which usually consisted of sloppy Joe's or hot dogs and beans in the early days but evolved into a more sophisticated menu with time.
If  Mom were alive today, I would order up beef roll ups (with bacon and onions) and a mountain of mashed potatoes and gravy!  And I would choose the chocolate banana cake with her one of a kind creamy icing- the likes of which only my Mom could produce.
I got my "mommy cake" (thanks, Beth!)

This Friday, November 16th, I will turn 63 years old.  How did I get so old,  so fast?
In terms of longevity, I have been blessed with more years than many of my friends and relatives.
I have sailed the seven seas and visited most of the major capitals of the world.
I witnessed the changing of the guard in London's Buckingham Palace, viewed the Mona Lisa in Paris and explored Michelangelo's Sistine chapel in Rome.
I rode a camel at the pyramids of Egypt, stood in the place where Jesus was born and died in Jerusalem and sipped Ouzo in the islands of Greece.
With my own eyes, I have seen the Beatles (twice), Elizabeth Taylor, John F. Kennedy and Mr. Spock...and many other  rich and famous people from my time and generation.  I was lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.  It was a kinder and gentler world with security not such a high priority.
I worked in my chosen profession for over 40 years, which afforded me the privilege of owning two homes and 9 new cars.
I have experienced the unconditional love of  family and the support of loyal friends.
And I have the peace of understanding and the knowledge that when I die, I will be reunited with all my loved ones.
60 years ago
See George, you really had a wonderful life. - Clarance Oddbody

Yes, what a wonderful life I have had, indeed!

8 comments:

  1. Well, Happy, happy birthday dear friend!! We must be sisters of another mother because I have childhood pictures that look just LIKE that!! (So cute).
    Your parents 50th must have been so sweet with youall singing for them. We will be married 42 this year. I hope in 8 years to still be alive (my statistics keep getting smaller...Dr. Lun told me chances are high for reocurrance in the next 3 years!!)and have a photo like that. Wow...where DID our lives go so fast??

    It was fun to read your travelog of places you've been and seen. I haven't done THAT much but still feel blessed.

    Again...happy birthday Judi!! Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Judi! The best years are waiting..so what are you going to do with the rest of your life? You've seen so much wonder and experienced the love of a wonderful family. You are blessed indeed...I send my heart felt wishes for health and happiness and tons of surprises and more chocolate cake! Great pics! I think it's so great you did that musical number for your parents. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judka, I really wanted to do my own blog for you. I made several attempts but couldn't do you justice. You received all the talent!
    Thank you for all you have done for me. I think of my childhood and you come to mind the most. We would have never been able to do all the fun things if it weren't for you. Mom didn't drive and there wasn't a lot of extra money but the trips downtown Christmas shopping, and restaurants and driving In your cool cars and staying weekends at your cool apartments were highlights of my life. You didn't mind dragging the "little girls" around with you and that has kept us lifelong friends not only sisters.
    Where does the time go? Well you have been blessed with a full life and lots of experiences. I hope God grants you many more years and many more experiences (you too, Donna, fifth sister!) ps. If you were here I would make you a batch of roll ups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Bday Aunt Judi!!!! It's funny what a big part you play in so many people's memories. Some of my favorite childhood memories are our weekends together- going to movies, 'shopping', and hanging out with the animal crew. Even trips driving around town and going to the grocery store I remember as hilarious and special outings! You taught me how to be a good dog mama and to find humor in everyday things. Happy Birthday and a wish for so many more exciting years, trips, and memories to come! xo Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so touching...and I never knew there was music written to these words. Just beautiful, and I am so excited to know about the song because our 40th anniversary is coming up next month and my husband inscribed "grow old along with me, the best is yet to be" inside my wedding band, lo those many years ago. This will be perfect to share with him. Thanks!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! Given your history with the ring, it IS the perfect song. John Lennon is the original composer/singer but I prefer Mary Chapin Carpenter's haunting version. Gosh, if only you didn't live so far away I am sure my siblings and I would be honored to sing it for you:-)

      Delete
  6. Aww, so sweet Judi - Great song choice! Same here :..-) Mom and Dad's 50th surely was a highlight and very special time for all of us PK's! Wow, knew you saw the world but didn't realize how extensively! Our European adventure to the old country with our parents was another personal highlight in life that I'll always treasure...not so much the half moons on my arms - lol

    Chocolate/Banana cake was my B-day choice as well. Yum!

    "...a shadow of a dream..." yet, happily you can still recall the memories and say with certainty that you've had a wonderful life. That is a blessing bestowed on you for your lifetime of generosity and giving. I'd say you earned your wings 0:)

    May you be blessed with many more years of a wonderful life...and the where-with-all to remember them.

    Love you Judi - Happy Birthday to you...!






    ReplyDelete
  7. You have had a wonderful life and are very blessed. I had no idea you traveled so far and wide. I think I have had only 3 new cars and am doubtful about counting little one. I am so happy for you...you deserve the best!

    ReplyDelete