starkeyhollow

Thursday, September 20, 2012

How Great Thou Art

Thank you, Lois, for inviting me out for an evening of inspiration, renewed faith and beautiful music.
We went to the Canton Baptist Temple to attend a service and listen to an hour of good old fashioned hymns sung in resplendid harmony by Selah.
Selah is a contemporary Christian vocal trio which features the passionate and impressive vocals and musical talent of Todd Smith, Allan Hall, and Amy Perry.  They have won many Gospel Music Association Dove awards and were formed back in 1997.
I go to bed with their CD's every night and tears are always close at hand, as the hymns remind me of my parents and the very best of my childhood.
Todd and his sister Nicol (the original female member of the group) were children of missionaries and grew up in Africa (Congo) and their music reflects their background and experiences.
So natural and unpretentious,  they dressed in jeans and plaid shirts and had no fancy bling or worldly ornamentation.  It was an intimate gathering and we were encouraged to participate with sing a longs, clapping and dancing in the pews!could tell they were inspired by what they did and in turn, touched our very souls.  I truly felt the love in the room.

Now take a few minutes and close your eyes, sit back and listen to one of the most beautiful renditions of "How Great Thou Art" I have ever heard.  This song was sung at both my parent's funerals and always is a source of comfort for me.
God be with you til we meet again!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and I did sit back and listen to one of my favorite hymns too...It was wonderful, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad the sound on my computer isn't working!!! Sounds like a good night of inspiration though and that's what it is all about. My favorite is when a black choir comes from Cleveland and sings in our church...they are OUTSTANDING!!! Makes the hair on the back of your neck rise up. I'll call you next time they come to town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool, Judi. These are the things I miss.(getting together with sisters). Glad you got to experience an evening like that.

    ReplyDelete