starkeyhollow

Saturday, August 18, 2012

"Hau`oli Lā Hānau"

Greetings on your birthday, in Hawaiian!   


Kani (or Kaniele for Daniel) is celebrating his birthday this year somewhere on the Islands of Hawaii.  Lucky.
Wish I were there... no, REALLY, I wish I were there!!
Daniel Warren was born August 20, 1954- the fourth son of a preacher man.
He is the Executive chef for the Washington Convention Center and, hold your breath ladies, according to his Facebook status, he is presently single!

Danny is the most adventuresome of my siblings and he has traveled the world in search of  unusual and culturally unique cuisines.
From the jungles of South America to the Peruvian mountain tops and beyond, Danny has explored back alley kitchens and tasted the strange delicacies of the local street vendors.
He is an Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern wannabe.
I am more of a Bob Evan's girl, myself.
a frankfurter and beer in Frankfurt
Although I was fortunate to have accompanied him and my parents on a memorable trip to our father's homeland, the former Republic of Czechoslovakia, back in 1992.
Even now I can recall the unusual dishes prepared for our dining pleasure by our well meaning relatives, most especially the infamous "fat sandwich".  My eyes still water and I suppress a gag from the mere memory of it.
We fared far better while touring Germany, Hungary and  Austria, especially sampling those fabulous meals on the trains.  Who will ever forget the taxi driver's reaction when he saw our mountain of luggage: "Spectacular!"  He said it was the heaviest load he had ever carried.  And this was before luggage was on wheels.  Danny and I carried each and every piece from country to country.
Thank you, Danny, for allowing me to tag along on the adventure of a lifetime!
The Bratislava relatives
Your horoscope for today:
This is a year in which you might put your life in order in some manner. Improved concentration, a more realistic outlook, and a practical awareness of the limits of time all help you to make steady progress, particularly in your career. Your concern for your future this year is stronger than usual, and you may find that projects you start, or investments you make, this year will benefit you for years to come. The key to success this year is adopting a realistic, practical, disciplined, and orderly approach to your life.


where's the beef?


LEO:  Keywords: Creative, Generous, Flamboyant, Egotistical, Selfish, Attention-seeker, Optimistic
The Leo lover is devoted, creative and almost too hot to handle! Since Leo rules the heart and back, however, overzealous Lions may have to take a deep breath and slow down a bit. 
a beautiful family 
The great strengths of the Leo-born are their creativity, idealism and leadership. Lions don't lack for ambition, either, so they're likely to accomplish a lot -- and have fun while they're at it. Their warmth and loyalty ensures that others will enjoy the ride as well.
still friends
"Welcome back, Cotter" days





star of the play Johnny Appleseed
There's no other love like the love for a brother.  There's no other love like the love from a brother.  ~Terri Guillemets

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers.  It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage.  Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.  ~Maya Angelou

A friend is a brother who was once a bother.  ~Author Unknown
father and son today


"Oh, Danny boy!"
A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams.  ~Author Unknown

Our brothers and sisters are there with us from the dawn of our personal stories to the inevitable dusk.  ~Susan Scarf Merrell

5 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest tribute ever! You always have such fun posts on your sibs birthdays. You have enough sibs to post all year too! He's a very handsome guy and I think food network needs to investigate this chef. Hey ladies, a man who cooks and gets paid for it too! His status can't be "single" for long! Have good week Judi! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Know any single women candidates?
      Send any and all applications:-)

      Delete
  2. Judi, Have I mentioned you are the best! When my children are older they will have all these memories about the Kucera's because you keep the memories alive. I look forward to the next 4! (siblings) I will hopefully have my blog finsihed by November to do yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha and Mahalo for your kind words and trip down memory lane. Oh my, our trip to the homeland with "the folks" was the best! Mom and Dad - sure gave us the adventure bug.

    Just back from "Paradise", a year older and no wiser, that I can tell...but I am still living and learning. I wish you were there too Judi! I took enough pics to replace the ones you took but never saw...It was like going to Asia after all. lots of cuties over there! :) and the food - YUM!! and the scenery!! Spectacular!! Did I mention the women?!

    So where to I go from here? Your horoscope for me sure game me food for thought :) Maybe back to Paradise - on a more permanent basis? ;)

    Mahalo again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh Danny Boy". I can still hear mom singing that to me. Thanks, Judi :)

    ReplyDelete